Mini Cart

  • No products in the cart.

Why is tanzanite a December birthstone?

In News

Tanzanite, the gorgeous violetish-blue gemstone first discovered near the foothills of Tanzania's majestic Mt Kilimanjaro, was declared as one of the official December birthstones in 2002 by the American Gem Association. The gem is a wholly unique mineral that formed about 500 years ago under intense geological circumstances and is found in just one location across the globe. This, paired with the predicted exhaustion of tanzanite in the next 25 years, adds to the stone's attraction. 

The Masai tribes of Tanzania have known about the purple-brown mineral long before the west discovered its violetish-blue variation in 1967. Approximately 97% of tanzanite is purple-brown in its natural state. This is because volcanic activity under the earth's crust altered the hue of tanzanite millions of years ago. The remaining 3% is naturally blue which is extremely uncommon. As a result, tanzanite is frequently heated to create its gorgeous color. Initially, the people of the tribe used tanzanite as amulets. 

Radiant Tanzanite Gemstones

Tanzanian moms wore tanzanite after childbirth because the Masai thought the stone may help infants live long and healthy lives. Tanzanite crystals are also used by the tribes to converse with spirits and to provide luck, calm, and strength. These beliefs have been narrated over the years and thus the tradition of gifting tanzanite jewelry is still prevalent. 

Octagon Tanzanite Ring
Shop Now » Gemstones Rings Earrings

According to modern astrologists, the tanzanite gemstone, like turquoise and lapis lazuli, is astrologically associated with the month of December. Mythologically, it is advised that people who are unable to advance in their careers, owing to strained personal relationships, must wear it every day to improve emotional relationships. 

Tanzanite jewelry is not just beautiful in its brilliance, but it's also highly distinctive. This precious gemstone is also the traditional 24th anniversary stone, making it an ideal present for a loved one. 

Trillion Tanzanite Ring

The December birthstone tanzanite is a wonderful jewel that will add a touch of refinement, elegance, and luxury to any ensemble, making it ideal for the modern individual who values style and timeless beauty.

Round Tanzanite Gemstones

At TopTanzanite, you wish to buy loose tanzanite to have our team customize it into something beautiful for you or you simply wish to give a December birthstone tanzanite to a loved one born in that month, visit our website to choose from a wide range of exquisite options. We provide a free certificate of authenticity for all our products and free shipping for all deliveries within the United States. 

Follow our social media for our latest collections and special offers.


  1. Meaning of Tanzanite as the December Birthstone - Lore, History, Facts (
  2. Tanzanite - The December Birthstone (
  3. Tanzanite Gemstone - Uses and Benefits |

Related Articles

× {formbuilder:9620}